Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Wrap up and Back in Action

Sorry about the delay in getting back to this for all of my fans (and I thank both of you) but it has been really busy around the household. Drove through 13 states and 3 time zones in the past 3 weeks and really didn't have any time to devote to the blog.

I am back and settled in so the routine should be starting up again.

Finally the wrap up of the Nationals Race in Sol Vista.

First off the starting hill really seperated the men from the boys. I was one of the very little boys as the field took off and I was pretty much left in the dust. The first climb was brutal. Almost straight up and a lose dirt, I couldnt get any traction and couldn't push a harder gear. Although in retrospect it was faster to walk up it than to try and ride.


Most the field was gone by the time I got up to the top but it was a rough course and I knew there would be a few stragglers who couldn't maintain the pace. As we went through a little more singletrack and then up another fire road I saw my first victim. Sitting on the bike trying to catch his breath. I just kept peddling and eventually caught another one.

Heres the the rocky singletrack. You had to choose your line wisely otherwise you would end up dabbing your foot.

After climbing for what seemed like hours I finally reached the top.

Estimated altitude topped out around 10,000 feet.

And someone had some confusion with the signs.


After the decent which put some of the berms at Warrior Creek to shame the first lap was done. Time to climb the hill again. Didn't make it, lost traction in the loose dirt again. After passing another rider I dropped my chain and had to flip the bike over. After wrestling with it for a few minutes I got it back on. Turns out those precisions minutes would be the difference in a top 10 finish.

Another mile into the trail I stopped upon one of the younger riders. I asked him if he needed anything. Turns out he needed a CO2 cartridge. Also turns out that he was only on his first lap. Poor kids parents had to be worried about him as he had to be in last place by a long shot. Another minute gone.

After struggling through the altitude and the heat I ended up running on someone in my class. The rough part was there was no place to pass in the past quarter mile as it was all banked downhill turns. I ended up coming behind him by .10 of a second. I just wish there was a straightaway at the end to get a sprint to show off my one skill.

12 of 16 place. Not to shabby. Those few minutes messing around the chain and playing trail fairy giving away my CO2 cartridge and tire leavers cost me some time, but it was an experience. Plus I got to drink beer, which might have been my downfall as well. I still have some other pictures to put up from the Denver area trails so getting the fun part out of the way for all you racer bois.

No comments:

Post a Comment