Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rivers Edge Race Report (2 of 2)

Well after my first lap I was feeling real good. Not tired at all, no cramps, no fatigue, I was ready to roll for another 3. Lap 2 was pretty uneventful, I kept up the same pace from the first lap and kept on going. I rolled into the pits and was greeted again by the Burrower and Erin and their new friend from the pit next door. I never actually got her name, but her husband, John, was a roadie from the Ashville area doing his 2nd mountain bike race ever. I come to find out that he pulled a sub hour lap there. Damn roadies making the rest of us look slow.

I loaded up with some water bottles, some food and a gel pack and continued on. By this time the racers were all spread out throughout the trail and you didn't see as many people anymore. This lap I was starting to get a little tired and a little hot. I kept drinking my water and poweraid bottles, eating gu packs and moving on. I made it up all of the climbs on the trail nice and slow but without any problems. The only issue I did have was that I crashed. Luckily it wasn't hard, but as I was going down the trail I had my front brake hand on my bar end resting and I wasn't able to make the turn. I locked up my rear brake and slid my rear triangle into a tree and I went face first down a hill off the trail. I stayed down there for a few minutes just resting and wondering how I could pull off three laps "training" without any issues and on the day of the race just end up crashing. Luckily there was no injury besides a dirty jersey and scraped up legs. The Culprit made it through unhurt as well. I ended up at the last climb starting to feel a cramp coming on and I knew the last lap was going to be painful.

By the third and final pit stop I was a little out of it. It was hot, I ran out of fluids on the previous lap, and my legs were starting to feel tired. While on the last pit the Burrower and Erin plus their new Ashville friend loaded me up with some new waterbottle concoction that was supposed to prevent cramps. I took a bottle of that, a bottle of powerade and a bottle of coke. Yes, the sports drinks of champions. I was so out of it I saw it in the cooler and pointed to it asking for some but the words didn't come out. I just kept pointing at the cooler as my mind wouldnt put the words that I wanted a refreshing glass of carbonated sugar. After about the 4th point at the bottle I was able to say the words and was granted with a sports bottle full of it. I went out on the trail for my final lap.

While on the start of it I ran into the 9 year old boy doing it solo as I passed him going up a hill. I said a few words of encouragment to him, but I don't think he needed it, and I kept on going. I give this kid a bunch of props for doing something like this so young, and turns out he ended up completing 3 full laps. 37.5 miles by himeself. Good job for him.

Also on this lap I ended up starting to get the bad cramps. I felt them coming and made the executive decision on all the tough climbs to walk up the hills instead of trying to ride up them. It was a smart move on my part as although I felt like crap, I was able to keep moving.

I wasn't able to make it up all of the trail though, there was one switchback right after the canoe trail access in which my legs locked up. Now if you have ever had this happen it is such an unusual feeling not to be able to move your legs. As I feel over on the side of the trail I was luckily able to reach down and pull my bike off the trail so that some other sucker who was still on the course at this time could pass. At this time the 9 year old comes by and we start a conversation while I am trying to get my legs to bend.

As I then continued on what at this time is considered a painful journey, I ended up peddling past a man who was doing his first race. I figured that out by looking at his bike. It was a rigid bike, flat pedals and V brake ride from the 1990's. He asked me how far he had left. By that time I informed him the worst part of the trail was over, but still over 6 miles. He informed me that he was doing a team race and this was his motivation to get in shape. I always like hearing those sort of stories as they create mountain bikers for life.

By this time I was already over 5 hours on the bike, tired, sore, a little banged up when I see the Mrs. MaddSS and my friend Dan pass me right before the last section of doing the Green trail. I yelled at Dan to wait up, but he was tied right to the Mrs. back wheel. I was able to catch them on the downhill as my legs wouldn't work on anything going uphill. I believe that last section of green trail was the fastest I went all day. Me and Dan where following the Mrs. and she was kicking some major ass and passing everybody. I was trying my best not to get dropped as was Dan. For the last 4 miles she pulled both of us around on the trail at a breakneck speed. As we pulled up to the final turn Dan turns around and ask me if I want to pass. I decline as if it wasn't for him and Sherry then I wouldn't be going this fast. He didn't want to pass her for the exact same reason. She did all the pace work so she deserves to finish in front. I wouldn't of had the finish any other way, Mrs. MadSS, Dan and me, all within 2 seconds of each other. Congrats to her for getting 2nd in the Womens class and for Dan for finishing his first mountain bike race ever. And even for me who beat my time from last year.

Mentally I wasn't all there at the end but Sherry was really out of it. All she kept saying was that she ran out of water halfway through. Luckily the MadSS was there at the finish with a bottle full of water to drink and one to pour on her head. Me and Dan declared our finish a draw.

Well that was the end of the race report, I will probably continue tomorrow with more random musings of 5 hours alone on the trail, or the festivies that happened afterward, or even just some other final thoughts about the race. Meanwhile the burrower only snapped a few pictures of the race so here they are. Thank you Burrower for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment