Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Race Report (biking related) - Riverfront Classic



So after trying to re-hydrate myself after completely wrecking my body the day before it was time for the Tarheel Trailblazer fundraiser race, the Riverfront Classic, and it is also part of the Southern Classic series. After doing some socializing and a quick couple of sprints to try and get the blood going it was time for the race.

It was a pretty decent size group with around 15 riders. I took my usual place near the back and waiting for the “Racers Ready…….Go!” And we were off. Well we weren’t like I said I took my usual place near the back. The first sprinters were off and then the race of the pack gets tied up on the first turn into the singletrack. By the time that is all sorted out I get caught up to the tail end of the group and hit the trail. I was following the local BikeSource rider and competitor Daniel through the trail when we hit the Figure 8 black trail.

After heckling him for not going fast enough we get to the first tough trail feature. Actually we were supposed to go around it but a non-local rider decided to do a 6 foot drop, unsuccessfully I might add. Seeing as I was already in last place I dismounted my bike and moved his from the trail. He tried to get up but got right back down to the ground. Luckily he just had the wind knocked out of him but I would rather be safe than sorry as that has been me in the past. Well the rest of the first lap was pretty uneventful except to say that my running training has been paying off. My climbing improved tremendously but I still was in the back of the pack.

Coming around the start/finish line I saw my race nemesis Daniel again about 45 seconds ahead of me as I made it my goal to catch him. Then disaster strikes again, this time to me. Along the figure 8 section again there was a small creek that opened up due to the WWC starting there pumps. Normally a little water never hurt anyway, but when that water gets onto a wooden bridge, it hurts a lot. My front tire slipped and I dropped face first 3 feet to the ground. Luckily I was ok but my face was a little tore up, I got a black eye and most importantly I lost a lot of ground to Daniel. After taking a GU pack, 15 minutes later the caffeine of it kicked in and I got a second wind.



I saw him up the carpet trail and tried to catch him before the downhill section. Didn’t get him. I kept seeing him on the switchbacks and knew he was in sight. Finally we get to Goat Hill, which is probably the toughest climb in the Charlotte area and he dismounted as didn’t take the right line and off I went! He never caught me for the rest of the race and I was just happy I passed someone in my class.

The rest of the trail was pretty uneventful, no crashes or many other people. I didn’t stick around to see what place I got as I knew it was near the back, but I will check it online one of these days. Anyway with the Summer Series race coming up on Wednesday, also at the WWC, I should be in good shape for that one as it is less mileage. But as we discussed earlier, I really need to focus on 6hr races or longer as those seem to be more my style. Thats the new goal for next year

1 comment:

  1. Geez, I didn't even get a photo credit. Heal up soon.

    ReplyDelete