Wednesday, May 12, 2010

North Meck Race Report

Ever feel like this guy?


Or I could call it "the circus just called, they want me to be the new clown". I use that reference because I was one the ground more than I was on the bike. Neil had us do 4 laps this year in sport instead of the 3 laps from last year. Just knowing that fact was a moral buster. But as always at N. Meck there was the Le Mans style start in which you place your bike down and run to it to thin out the pack. I was lucky and just happened to place my bike down in the first row which gave me a slight advantage as I didn't have to hop over anybody else's ride.

Entering the woods I was in about 4 or 5 place after my run and good start and then there is the straight, fast downhill. I love downhills and I love gear mashing. Throw the bike in the big ring and just crank. So after the slight gap I built up on the downhills the rest of the pack caught me on the up hill section. I knew that was going to happen and I hate when it does happen. Luckily there is really only one uphill section at the park so I didnt' lose too much ground.



Fast foward to the tail end of lap one in which there are 2 small bridges. Unforetunly I only hit one of them and did a complete flip off my bike and landed on my back. That was the momentum breaker for me as most the field past me while I was still attempting to figure out where I was.

I continued on the ride and was going at a good pace when I just lost concentration and hit a tree.



All of these hitting things and falling down really take a toll on your mental state and even your physical state of getting your feet set under you and ready to ride. They make you want to take turns slower and jumps not as high as you lose your confidence.

So I am beat up, bruised, scarred, and hungry (the last one didnt have to do with racing I just thought I would throw it out there). At least I didn't finish last. I believe I took 15 out of 18 or so and I think I would have done better as the guy I was following when I took the front flip (with a terrible dismount) took 3rd for the day. I honestly thought I could keep up that pace a little longer. Goes to show that anything can happen when you least expect it.

And I am still waiting for the post man to deliver the new part for The Culprit. He deserves it after the abuse I put him through today.

1 comment:

  1. Good job. When you start making stupid mistakes out there (like crashing), they seem to multiply. Happens to me all the time. And yeah, four laps on that friggin' root-fest really sucks.

    ReplyDelete