Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Usual End of the Year Thank You

I was sooooo close to my goal of 1000 all purpose miles this year, off by less than 4. Of course that means that I would have to get an official odometer for both my bikes, and I just don't see myself doing that. So I might have hit my goal, or I could be way off. Either way I don't care.

But this was a good year for me riding. Considering this was my 2nd full year riding a mountain bike and moving up a class for racing, I think I did ok. More importantly I had fun and made a lot of new biking friends.

Southpark Cycles....err...Queen City Cycles kept my bike going all year long. Even better than that, Bart didn't kick me off the team this year for all of my lackluster race performances. Appreciate that.

I raced out of town a lot this past year and it was nice to see some other trails and what they had to offer. I am glad for all of the work that the Tarheel Trailblazers do to make all of the trails in this area top notch.

I did my first 6 hour endurance race at Warrior Creek. It was the most fun I had suffering since my last endurance race, the Rivers Edge 50 mile marathon, which I did again this year. I smashed last years time by over an hour. Progress? Maybe, but I also learned a lot about how to ride, and more importantly, nutrition. Who would have thought that food and drink during a 5 hour race would be important in 95 degree heat?

I went out to Colorado and competed in the USA Cycling National Cross Country race. That was an adventure.

I guess this is the part where I put down goals for this coming year...well I don't have any besides get faster. At least it is obtainable as Speed Racer I am not. At least not on my bike, but I am downing beers, so it all evens out. It is going to be a busy year traveling on the personal front. My wedding in Iowa, honeymoon somewhere warm TBD, Cashley's wedding in Boston, then possible weddings in Jersey? Illinois?

How am I supposed to work those into my biking schedule? I signed up for the 6 hours of warrior Creek again, one of the lucky few who got in before it sold out in 36 hours. maybe the Burn 24, as I really want to make myself suffer (depends on the honeymoon schedule as I doubt the Burrower will let me bring a bike with us) Tree, Shaker, Grind on the Greenway, all of these are potential endurance races that I would like to do.

In additon to the Southpark cycles gang, all of the other shops in the area that make Charlotte an amazing place to ride a mountain bike, my sponsors as well. And all of my loyal 4 readers. I will try to make these post more entertaining for you, even if I have to distract with a lot of pretty colors and shiny objects

No comments:

Post a Comment