Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Setting myself up for Failure

I have found out it is hard to ride when your chain looks like this.


My mechanical skills are basically zero. Sometimes they are even less than that. I don't know why I got the bright idea to try and build a bike from the ground up, but I did.

And I have gotten past the point of no return. I wanted to build a hardtail for the Winter Short Track Series. And I probably should point out that I took 18 of 25 in sport class. I guess that is better than 14 of 15 in beginner class like last year. I probably could have even been in the top half of the pack if the Culprit wasn't acting up.

After a few runs to Sun and Ski to pick up some tools, it was time to let the destruction begin. Bottom brackets are a pain in the ass to remove. Especially when they haven't been serviced in 2 years.


After fighting with it for about 15 minutes finally got the SOB.


Then just a quick install of the new FSA 386 crankset. Still needs some work but just to get the pieces in place and off the floor.


Past the point of no return, now I have 2 un-ridable bikes.


Getting the bikes all naked.


And starting to build them back up.


I know its not much, but if I am able to get this close to ridable (is ridable a word?) It should be good to go for race 2 on Sunday. All I need to do is
1. Tighten the bottom bracket
2. Secure the cranks
2b. Add new chain
2c. add new cassette
3. Add shifty parts
4. Adjust shifty parts
5. Do something with brakes.

its not looking good folks.....

1 comment:

  1. I'll help you with your destruction this weekend if you need me to. I'll bring over my tools and knowledge, or you can come here. Either way we'll get you ready to ride something in the race on Sunday. A tricycle perhaps?

    ReplyDelete