Monday, September 20, 2010

The week of riding continues

As the weather has finally started to turn cooler (well not that days, those are still 90 degrees here in Charlotte) the nights have become great to sit around and enjoy.

Last Thursday Dan (stock photo below, he is on the left)
and I made plans to go ride at the WWC. As I was waiting for him to show up I ended up seeing some of the Southpark guys, Bart and Kevin, going for what I believed to be a social ride. (Heres another pic stolen from the F-Book of the team, Kevin is 2nd from the left next to me, Bart is 4th from the left sticking his butt out showing our awesome sponsor Widmer Brothers Beer).

Well, I was wrong about the social pace but Bart and Kevin were nice enough to pull both of us around the WWC. We did one quick lap of no options and went back to the parking lot to pick up another rider (didnt get his name). But the 2nd lap we did all of the options and really booked it. I usually don't go as fast as we did, but it was different being pulled around the course instead of having everyone beat the crap out of me and never look back. I was informed that we a complete lap in a little over an hour. We booked it on the green trail as I had a quick mechanical and had to dismount. Bart, Kevin and the other rider took off while Dan waited for me to fix the chain. We made the decision to try and catch the group and I put the Culprit in the big ring. I was able to catch up and saw them on the straightaways. So close, getting closer each turn to the group, and then the turns came. I was going so fast and pedling while turning that twice my pedal hit a small stump while I was leaning into a turn that I got bucked off the trail, twice. I just quit trying to chase at that point and turned my attention to the more pressing matter. Beer.

There was a nice mellow band there last Thursday, sitting outside in the cool weather, a couple beers in my hand, it was heaven. Sadly I received a phone call from the Burrower who had news that one of our friends had gone missing two days prior.

I just found out Sunday morning with a wake up phone call that Val Hamilton had been murdered. Here she is on the left with our other friend Liz on the right.


I also found out today they caught they guy who they think is responsible. Here is a link to the article.

Althought we only met a few times Val was a great person. Always a pleasure to be around and in great spirits at all times. Her quirkiness and positive attitude will be missed. I don't have enough kind words about how she made everyone feel comfortable around her and how she was the first one to laugh at everything. I really don't have any other news about the services but I heard the funeral will be tomorrow. Sorry to leave this on a negative note, but you just don't ever think that you will know the missing person on the news.

1 comment: