Monday, March 14, 2011

First Race Report of the Season

It wasn't all smiles on the course on Sunday:

Photo and street cred to Lunchbox

For my adoring fans who check my facebook account for updates you probably already know the lackluster result of 21 of 22. I would like to say that I just suck that bad at racing and hang up the number plates for good. But I am at least a few spots better than that.

It all started when Siggy picked me up at an early bird special 6:15 in the morning. Although the course was only about 2 hr 15 minutes from Charlotte, it was his first Southern Series Race and he was ready to go in my driveway before I had my breakfast ready. Even though the race wasn't until 10:00 am it turns out we needed the time due to some crappy navigating my yours truly. His phone/GPS died along the way before we got to the split off point in Greensboro. He was smart enough to print off the directions on paper though. I was not smart enough to follow them.

When the GPS unit off I made the executive decision to keep going on the incorrect route and we headed east towards Raleigh instead of North towards Virgina. After about 20 minutes I realized my Christopher Columbus set of navigation skills (he was looking for India) and we had to re-evaluate our plan of attack to get there. Turns out we were close enough to the directions from Raleigh that we ended up taking the back roads through wonderful places such as Yanceyville NC


This was about all we saw until we got to the race course. Smelled a lot of good stuff though


We ended up late enough to have to park off site due to the attendance of the race. Although it was only about 3/4 of a mile from the start, it was enough to be a bother.

Well, I need to possibly stretch this out for another few days so I think I am going to leave the actual race report till tomorrow. Ill get back to it then, the images and stories are burned in my head.

1 comment:

  1. I looked on a map, and you guys definitely took the long way. I'm surprised you made it at all. Glad you did though, 'cause that was a fun and painful race.

    ReplyDelete