Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Finishing Up

Well, were I last left was I had one lap down of two, no rear brake, and witnessed a horrific crash between a rather large somebody and a small somebody. I think somebody described that type of reation to me one time as "physics"


In retrospect I probably should have pre-ridden the course, you know, to get a feel for it, look out for the climbs, descents, one jump in which threw many a rider off their bike. But I didn't. I thought that all of this road training I was doing was going to at least make me mid pack competitive. I was wrong. This course was more challenging than I was expecting and I paid for underestimating it. It reminded me a little of my trip to Nationals in Colorado, except the course was harder. My hats of to the suckers that did it for 6 hours that day. Anyway the point is that I was suffering.

To make matters worse I was just starting to catch up to people with about 7 miles to go. I kept seeing them in my sights on all of the switchbacks as I crept closer and closer.

5 miles, I start making a pass on a rider, and then another one same section. I see a few more riders a few hundred meters up. Closer and closer I was coming up to them. 3.5 miles left and all I hear is "thud thud thud thud".

Shit. Flat tire. I probably should of had her fix it, it would have taken less time

As I was struggling to fix it I realized about 4 minutes in that I needed another tire lever tool which I didn't pack. As I am struggling around asking other riders if they have a $.99 piece which could save my race, the riders I just past are now flying by. After asking, another rider throws me one out of his jersey, but at this point it was to no avail for position, just to ride back to the finish line.

I checked the final results, 21 of 23 total, on a bike that wasn't mine, missing a rear brake, and getting a flat tire. Not good by any means. But I did take away something from all this.
1. Ride your own bike
2. Check bolts before racing
3. Always carry a spare tire lever.
4. Maybe get in shape.

I have another race this weekend, so unless I get something new to talk about, I will post up next week.

1 comment:

  1. I would've flatted on purpose if that girl was out there to fix it.

    ReplyDelete