Monday, June 7, 2010

Falling off the wagon




I have fallen off the horse in more ways than one. First I half-assed the blog last week. It was just a busy week (more like a exciting weekend that lasted way to long) and I didn't keep up with it. And I was only able to get on one ride last week. Although I did have a few good laps at Sherman 1 hr 1 min and then a 1 hr 2 minutes lap before the skys opened up


Not horrible considering I really wasn't feeling like riding and "forced" myself anyway. Really all I did was force myself not to drink like a fish the night before so I could get a few laps in so it really wasn't any punishment.

Fast forward to the next week (which was really just a recap of this weekend) in which we got a man's day out. Since the Ash in the Cashley team was in Boston searching for her wedding venues Casey was giving his noble steed one last ride. He was all giddy like a school girl that he ordered a new bike. For the good of all my readers I will volunteer to ride it and review, if he lets me. But me, him and his co-worker Dan decided to ride the WWC, mostly because it has the bar there for afterwards.

Well I am not sure if I am in good shape compared to the average biker, or bad shape compared to the average racer, but either way those two were sucking wind. It also was around 90 degrees outside so that didn't help either.

I decided to take point for some of the North trail and was setting a pace that my grandma could handle when I heard some rustling in the bushes and then off like a flash, I swear it was a coyote. I turned around "guys did you see that? I swear it was a coyote" They looked at me in confusion. I take it that it was a no. It might not have been a coyote, but it was a wolf-like dog off a leash with no owner chasing it.

Another switch back later more rustling and then flash, a big deer bounds across the trail. Again, I scream like a little girl. "did you just see that big deer come out of nowhere?" Again with the dazed looks, that was a negative. I guess that is what happens when your sucking wind, you miss all of the things around you. So after the only options on the trail finishing the figure 8 and tackling carpet trail by myself (I heard toilet bowl was a mess.....no pun intended)we hit up the bar.

We order some drinks, tell a few biking stories while Casey and Dan were still trying to get their breath back after being off the bike for nearly 30 minutes. We then decide to part ways to meet back up for a guys night out at the bar. I wont bore you with details but there was the challenge against the women to see who could get the most phone numbers. They guys won hands down, granted we cheated a little bit by asking girls for fake names and numbers just to get handwriting variations, but dammit, some of them had to be real as we are a good looking group of guys.

I wanted to go riding on Sunday but the activities from the night before were still lingering on me so I napped instead. So much for training for Nationals next month. Tomorrows adventure, my daily commute in which was made a lot more difficult by equipment failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment