Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First Race of the Season



First race of the season.  I knew what to expect, but doesn’t mean that I was ready.  Of course, I have been racing for about 4 years now and have very rarely been ready.  Sunday’s goal was only to get lapped by the leaders one time.  That may not sound like a far reaching goal, but in Charlotte during Short Track season, it is a lofty one for someone who only gets to ride about once a week when the weather is good.  And almost no saddle time when the weather is bad.

The sport class is where racers tend to linger for the rest of their career.  In addition to that, this series is full of roadies.  Little skinny guys, who know how to pedal a bike up a flat gravel road, but have no clue how to handle it on any sort of downhill or technical terrain.

Photo: Cool Breeze Cyclery

Since the race is only 45 minutes long, it is just a sprint and to see how long you can hang on without getting passed.  With the weather being sunny, dry, and around 50 degrees, there was a big field of 23 starting in the 19-39 age group.  I lined myself up near the back and awaited the start.  

When Neil said “GO,”everyone was getting ready to get a fast start.  All you could hear was the click click click of shoes clicking into pedals.  I was feeling a little overly confident and took advantage of some possible newbies who didn’t know they had to get on the gas as soon as the race started to get into the single track right first.  I ended up in the top half of the class going into the woods.  And then reality set in.

Not getting a chance to pre-ride the course, I didn’t have a good idea of what to expect.  Looking at the jerseys of the people that raced before they didn’t look to muddy, but knowing that it rained less than 2 days ago, I had my doubts on how slick the course might be.  

While still learning my new Duo Gremlin tire, I held my own going down the trail.  For the most part it was in great shape, a little tacky and fast, but there were a few corners in which where still wet and slick.  Being cautions the first lap I just held onto the wheel in front of me.  As soon as I cleared the rock garden then trail opened up to the gravel road, and I got passed.  By a lot of people.  Those are the people that probably rode their bike all winter.  Cheaters.  

 

Photo: Bart Steller

About halfway through the 45 minute race I finally started to get in a rhythm.  The field thinned out so there wasn’t the constant hum of tires behind me.  I ended up passing a few people; more than a few passed me.  But I achieved my goal.  Only get lapped by the leaders one time.  After all was said and done, I achieved my goal.  I ended up taking 17 of 23.  That may not sound like an impressive feat, but I was happy with the result.

The past year has been a fun filled adventure raising twins and spending time with my wife.  I told her before they were born that they would take priority over all of extra circular activates, which makes my 17th feel like a podium finish at times.  Besides, I’m just doing this to get in shape for the 6 hours of Warrior Creek to get my personal goal of 4 laps, and an ass that isn’t so saddle sore that I can’t sit down for the drive home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment