Friday, January 23, 2015

A Bit of Spring in January

Over 60 degrees. That was the temperature here in North Carolina last weekend.  Even better plus.  3 day weekend.
Sometimes its a tough spot to be in, having nice weather and wanting to go out to play with my friends and my bikes, and also trying to make sure that the wife and kids get to play too.  I like to think that I find a balance between the two, and with an understanding wife, she lets me go out to play as well.
Plans were finally finalized Thursday night about making a trip to the mini-mountains of Uwharrie.  Being only an hour away makes it convenient to get out of town, but still close enough that I can come back to handle husband/daddy duties. 
 I talked my roadie-esk friend Benji into leaving his kid and pregnant wife for a morning of mini-mountain goodness.  With plan almost derailed at Friday night at bed time due to a possible bent brake rotor (not my bike), it all got straightened out (the rotor and the situation).  Even though it was going to be up near 60 degrees near lunch time and that would be the perfect time to ride, we both felt guilty leaving the wives at home with the kids, and decided to get up there for an 8 am wheels down time.  Temperature, it was probably 32 degrees.

The trails were actually in great shape with a few wet spots, and just leaves covering the trail and there was no one else out there.  We stopped a few times to just look at the mountains hrough the downed leaves and just take in the views.  Makes me want to get up there more often.
After completing a modest 18 miles or so, it was time to go home.  A lot of  the other Charlotte crew thought that Uwharrie was a good idea too, as we were leaving, they were just getting there ready to ride.  Great minds think alike.  Except waking up too early and riding when its freezing out.  Good news is that we were home by noon to spend time with the families.  

That night was spent putting on new toys on Seabiscut.  She got a new cassette, chain, cranks, and chainrings to convert to the 2x10 drivetrain.  With the weather looking good for the rest of the weekend, I couldn't wait to try her out.

Sunday was just putting the finishing touches on the bike, as well as family duties of grocery shopping and probably some other family activities.  Details are sketchy.

Monday was a bonus day with the weather and the day off.  There were more family activities in the morning, but in the afternoon after the kids nap, it was play time again.  This time it was local at the Whitewater center.   The burrower has taken up running and used the path around the rapids to jog with the kids, so I finally got to try out my new toys. There are a few adjustments in which I need to make, but there is a difference, and hopefully it will make me a stronger/faster rider.  

New gear, new year and looking forward to entering in a few races again after a year off.  Upcoming this weekend is the Winter Short Track race.  The weather doesn't look great.  I said that if the weather was bad i wouldn't do it.  I tend not to listen to myself, especially when I am talking about being reasonable, so there is a good chance I am going to race anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment