Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Up to VA

This past weeks adventure takes me up to VA. This Maxxis Southern Classic Series seems to cover a lot of the south region for some incomprehensible reason. This was also the first time racing on the yet to be named Marin. I was only able to get out and ride the 11 miles on Saturday at Shermans Branch to really see how this 29er handles. Shermans is a great place to ride, but not really a great place to test equipment as it doesn't cover a whole lot of different types of terrain to see how a bike handles. But taking a nice easy lap there I found out my time was only an hour and 1 minute. Not to shabby for a casual stroll around the grounds. I might be able to attribute some of that to a 29er, and maybe most of it to being in shape this year after a mild winter.

After calling it quits after playing drinking catch phrase but before beer pong came a short night of sleep. Not only is it a 2 hour drive to Danville VA, but it was also the start of daylight savings time. Insert cheesy pic here.

 Me and my carpool buddy/teammate Doug e Fresh hit the road at almost exatly 6 am (or 5 am if your counting hours of sleep).  After a McDonalds run, almost running out of gas we made it just in time to register and have Dougs race goof off.  He was racing beginning mens 40-49.  This just gave me extra time to get ready and goof off.  I did end up managing to find the Mutt who introduced me to D-Wayne hunter.  I have been a reader of his mishaps for a while and it was nice to meet him.  He also showed me how pro-creation works.

It was an educational experience for all.

After Doug finished I was ready at the starting line for my race, Sport men 30-39.  Due to my points ranking I was put into the back of the field.  The race went off with a bang and I kept the leaders in my sights for about the first 2 miles of tight twisty full of trees singletrack. I wasn't used to the wide handlebars on the new unnamed bike yet so me an some trees had a few good words.  I did managed to finally settle into a pace and keep going.



 I think this was taken lap one on a very Warrior Creek-ish fun and flowly section.  Thanks to random photographer Mary Whit-Jones who is friends with Mr. crackednipples. 

I felt real good and completed the first 9 miles in a group of about 4 people.  It felt weird actually racing and feeling like I have a chance to beat someone.  I started on the second lap and then felt the dreaded cramp starting in my legs.  I hate when this happens.  I am not used to standing up and pedaling up climbs coming from a full suspension to a hardtail so my legs were not used to the effort yet. 

So an even longer pointless story shorter, I cramped with 4 miles to go, legs locked up, and lost about 4 spots.  I did manage to put together an almost respectable 17 of 26 places.  Still not as good as Doug e Fresh's VA state Championship

 And we drank PBR to celebrate and went home.  Yup, that is all for now.  With the next race being 3 hours away at the 6 hours of Warrior Creek, I really need to get in some major time to have a respectable showing there.  But at least I got a new ride to do it on, with some minor modifications on the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment