Saturday, March 17, 2012

First Rides report

Waking up early on St. Patrick's day usually spells trouble as that is just an excuse to start drinking early.  Well, that is still my plan, but I also had a plan of doing a few laps at the USNWC to really see how the unnamed Marin performed.  I just had one test lap at Shermans Branch, and a race at a course up in VA, but neither of those I really have anything to compare to until this morning.

Breakfast started out as usual, a few eggs, toast, orange juice, I filled up the water bottles with Poweraid and left to get to the trail by daybreak.  Already dressed when I got out of the Jeep I hit the trails on cobweb clearing duty.  With the unnamed Marin being my first 29er I was still getting used to how it handles compared to my full suspension 26 inch ride.  One of the first things I noticed during the damp morning ride was how much less the bike seemed to slip off the side of damp, dewy roots.  Not saying that it didn't slip at all, but it was noticeably less than the Culprit.  Part of that might be me not knowing how to ride good lines, part of it might be the Continental Race Kings 2.2, and part might be the bike is not set up as tubeless yet.  I can probably fix 2 of the 3 easily.  Tires and tubeless being the 2.

Another adjustment in which I had made from the last race in VA was putting more air pressure in the fork, it is amazing what a difference that makes.  In terms of climbing I am still getting used to a hardtail but I think I am making the transition rather seamlessly.  When getting out of the saddle to climb the rear end of the Nail likes to stay planted which is a good thing.  Another thing I noticed is that this bike rewards a nice steady out of the saddle pedal strong.  It even fooled me as I had to downshift a few times to get into a harder gear to stop from spinning out and climbing Goat Hill and the Gas Line climb.  Success.

I am also glad I got this bike as the geometry and long steerer tube makes for a relaxed ride for all day adventures.  I did fit myself on a Rocky Mountain 29er, and decided it wasn't for me.  The Rocky being a very race oriented bike does accelerate out of the gate quickly, but for all day riding, 6 and 12 hour events and marathon races comfort is a major factor for me.

I am already in process of getting the Marin the way I want it, switched out the personal preference items such as grips and saddle.  I also am getting it set up as a 1x10 with parts on the way. I am also liking the huge 185MM rotors up front to stop.  I can't wait until they are completely broken in. Patrick from Sun and Ski was nice enough to swap over my XT drivetrain from the Culprit to the unnamed Marin. Luckily I didn't have to switch out the crankskins to match the new color scheme.


Hey, if you can't beat them in a race, at least make sure your bike looks better than theirs.

So far I am very happy with the new ride.  As of now it comes in at 28 lbs right on the dot with pedals, heavier Ergon grips,  water bottle cages (that match the frame), spare tube, levers, and CO2 cartridge.  After it goes 1x10 and tubeless I will weigh it again, just to see.  But for an out of shape endurance racer like me, I think this is the bike to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment