Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Success, or at least a not a failure

The weather down here in North Carolina has been great this year. It has been a relativly mild winter with no snow and a little bit of rainfall. Somehow it seems that most the rain fall occurs right before a weekend. Although the trails were open last Saturday I decided to save myself some time but dish myself out some punishment going for a roadie ride. What that consist of for me is going to the Research park and climbing hills, rolling down them, and then climbing them again, rolling down them, then climbing them again, getting tired, then climbing another hill to go home and have a beer. You get my point. Last time I did that on a Saturday I ended up shaving 2 minutes off my winter short track race time the next day. Seems it is just enough punishment to get me legs going, but not enough to wear me out. So following that recipe for success I decided to ride the local race track Sherman's Branch on Sunday, and it was fast. Not to bore with details but I completed a sub 58 minute lap there. A personal best, and it is only February, still early in the season. Last time I rode Sherman was a few weeks ago and had 1 hr and 5 minute lap time. Now that is an improvement. Not that I am mentioning these times for anybody to congratulate me, because frankly, it doesn't matter, but I do feel like I can compete at a faster time racing than last year, which really is my only goal. I also got the go-ahead from the burrower to compete in more of the Maxxis Southern Classic Series. I have signed up for the first 2 of them, with one coming this Sunday is the Killer 3 down in South Carolina, and the one the week after that is Anglers Ridge Virginia. I don't expect to podium, but hopefully with this "fitness" I have recently acquired some top 10 finishes might be in my future. I can't wait till daylight savings times comes next week so I can be more active after work. I even am trying to help the Burrower with her Cooper River Bridge run 10k run goal by going on a run with her yesterday. She is getting faster every week and she will be ready when the race day comes at the end of this month. Luckily it has been cold in the mornings around here, so I have finally have the motivation, and for once the financial resources to finish the basement. Progress is being made.
Before and after pics. There still is more work to be done but headed in the right direction. New furniture is coming soon. And back to bike related news, I am attempting to narrow down which bike to get for my next ride. With some deals from the local Sun and Ski shop I have it narrowed down to a Rocky Mountain or a Marin. Both 29er hardtail.
A vertex 950 or
Nail 29er. And for some reason I am also thinking of just making things easy and making it a 1x10 drivetrain. Not that I am worried about weight of the bike, but just want to tinker around with it and see what it feels like. Leave me comments and let me know which bike I should think about getting, oh, and also send some words of encouragement for the burrower to kick some ass at her Bridge Run at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment